The Craft Room – 23rd May 2015 – Hydrangea D-lite
Its a Bank Holiday week-end and I actually have a few days off. I have planned absolutely nothing except for some total me time in the craft room ( Something I don’t get chance to do very often)
Most of the ladies had things planned with family etc for this week end so I purposely did not organise anything for our “crafty afty” and just left it open if anyone wanted to come round to finish off any projects still on the go. Irene and Lisa took up the offer to finish off a few outstanding projects and I was able to have a bit of a play too.
I have been wanting to try a Hydrangea flower for a while now and have been looking out for dies and ideas. Sizzix have brought one out in the “Susan’s Garden” range, and it was while I was watching the video demonstration of how to make the flower that I remembered I already had a similar die set included with a Spellbinder Die D-lite bundle, bought from Create and craft a while ago. Leonie had tried to demo the Hydrangea die unsuccessfully lol, which is probably why I had not tried it before.
Found the die set, now it was just a matter of working out the best way of putting it together. I tried it first using the Sizzix video as a guide but was not impressed with the finished result so I looked at the instructions (pictures) on the back of spellbinder pack.
From the pictures I gathered that you needed to cut out 3 of the 6 spoke wheels, 2 of the 3 spoke ones 2 leaves, 1 round base and 1 set of the flowers. One tip I did get from the Sizzix video was to cut the flowers out in 3 different shades of card stock (great way of using up your scraps)
Once the flowers are cut out use a yellow felt tip pen (any will do) put a dot in the middle of each flower ( I thought of this after I had shaped my flowers so I can tell you it is definitely easier to do before shaping lol) then using a ball tool and a foam mat shape the flowers. Easiest way is just place petal on mat and press down in the middle with the ball tool.
I also rubbed the ball tool along the “spokes” of all the wheels and just using my nail bent back the little round ends too. From the instructions it made out to stick the all the wheels together the 3 six spoke then the 2 3 spoke ones onto the round base then attach the flowers, hmm, that seemed a bit too fiddly for me so lets try attaching the flowers to the spokes first.
Using a fine tip applicator with your glue you can quite easily put a dot of glue on the round end of each spoke, then using tweezers pop a flower on top. I did one wheel at a time, a dot of glue on all the ends then added the flowers and leave for a couple of minutes to dry.
Now just to assemble
Dome the round base first using a ball tool, then I glued the first wheel underneath the base, followed by the rest onto the top of the base offsetting each layer. Add the leaves gluing under the flower and its done
They are a bit fiddly to do but I love how they look when finished. Using the 3 shades of card for the flowers make them quite realistic looking too. Now I just need to make a couple more …
I have made this card especially for my parents (56th) wedding anniversary which in a couple of weeks time. ( no last minute rush this time lol)
The background is cream card stock brushed with Shaded Lilac and Dusky Concord Distress inks, second generation stamping with Hydrangea Archival using Inkylicious Hydrangea stamps and Memory Box butterflies to finish off.
The craft room will be back in full swing this Saturday with a mixed media bottle/jar decorating workshop, here are a couple of finished samples and will do a step by step next week too xx
This was a Doritos dip jar
and a Blackwood’s Gin bottle