The Craft Room 16th May 2015 – Our faux leather addiction continues
Yes, we are back playing with “Sheena’s” faux leather technique again this month at the request of some of the ladies in the group, not sure if its the technique itself or the “Spray and Shine” that is addictive lol.
Its been a while though and with memories not being as good as they used to be a “bit” of a refresher was needed.
This technique is where you take a plain piece of craft card
And after a few minor hiccups, debossing instead of embossing, embossing the pattern the wrong way, forgetting to ink around the edges, forgetting to spray and shine, I won’t go on lol,
they still manage to turn it into something like this.
One of the requests was to make a passport cover similar to the one I did a step by step for last year (blog post 5th May 2014) complete with machine stitching along the edges. We just simplified it slightly by omitting the strap.
A perfect fit!
Margery who, not wanting a passport cover came up with the idea to make hers into a card wallet instead. Just sew an extra line across the middle at each side over the folded parts only, this gave her 4 compartments for holding her credit cards etc . Great idea.
Everyone had managed to make 2 pieces of faux leather. The first piece which we lined with material for the passport covers above, the second piece is going to be used to cover these.
An A6 size note book. I found these lovely hard back ones in our Pound shop – pack of 2 for £1.00
Now that I have found out how NOT to cover a note book I will hopefully be able to show you a step by step next week on how we do successfully.
Also if I am being honest the actual faux leather piece I used to try and cover this book was an idea that went wrong too. Originally I wanted to try and achieve a white leather look, so instead of inking the card after drying and embossing I gave it a wash of white gesso instead and let it dry. Then using an ink pad, direct to the card, I wiped it over gently so just the embossed areas picked up the ink to outline the flowers. This worked really well until I sprayed it with the Spray and Shine, as I started to rub it in the ink started to smear, I then had to carry on so it all looked the same. Instead of Archival ink I had used Distress ink on top of the gesso, We live and learn lol.