The Craft Barn’s 2015 Calendar Challenge
The Craft Barn have a new challenge for 2015. “The Craft barn 2015 Calendar Challenge” This is a monthly challenge (think there was a clue in the title, lol) where 2 word prompts are given at the beginning of the of each month and by the end of the year hopefully we will have a full Calendar of art work all ready for 2016.
Full details of the challenge including rules of entry etc can be found on The Craft Barn’s new blog site thecraftbarnblog.blogspot.co.uk
I missed the January challenge deadline due to that four letter word beginning with W—- but I was determined to complete it. Can’t have a calendar without January can you?
In my stash I had found some 8″ x 8″ chipboard boards and decided that these would be ideal for my calendar pieces. I have not quite decided how it will all fit together yet, still playing around with ideas at the moment.
So, The January prompts were Aqua and snowflakes
For the background I thickly painted white gesso through a snowflake stencil randomly to form a kind of resist, then when dry painted over with an Aqua colour chalk paint. Sanded back a little when dry to bring out the snowflakes more and then stamped the word January randomly over the background.
To finish I dragged some white gloss texture paste through a couple of tree stencils and scrapped some along the bottom too. While still wet I sprinkled over some white snow stuff I found in the cupboard and some ice crystals. Finally just added few die cut snowflakes to finish
February’s prompts are Red and Hearts,
I am really the romantic type , so this could be why this seemed to turn more gothic, hmm
To start I thought I would see if a favourite gelli technique would work on gesso and yes it did
The board was given a coat of white gesso and left to dry. then painted a thick coat of pearlescent red acrylic paint over the top . Whilst wet I took a rose stamp and as I stamped, twisted the stamp and carried on until stamped all over.
This is the stamp I used, think it is a Clarity NSC stamp from last year, but any similar stamp with clear lines should work, just have a play. I love this effect and it works really well on the gelli plate too.
Again once dry I over stamped this time with February in black. this is where the gothic look started to take over lol.
Cut some TM Bigz die cuts – the ornate frame, hinges and keyhole, found some plaster of paris embellishments (made a batch a while ago) including hearts and doves and stuck some to the frame, painted everything with black gesso, and touched up with silver gilding wax when dry. Then all that was left to do was stick them onto my background.
There will be a picture going into the frame, But it is a special one of my Grandparents wedding that I want to put there and I will not be able to sort before the challenge deadline which I don’t want to miss again. So hence the empty frame.
Thoroughly enjoying this so far as it is giving me a chance to play with something different
Thank you for reading.