Compendium of Curiosities 3 – Challenge 5
The CC3 Challenge no 5 is to use the technique from page 39 – distress watercoloring – part 1
Double checked that I had the right page this time BEFORE I started, lesson learnt there I think lol.
This challenge really give you a chance to try new techniques that in your normal crafting world you would not think to do and and for me watercoloring is one of those.
Each fortnight a technique from the book is randomly selected and you have to make a piece of artwork using that technique. The main rule being that you have to work from you own copy of the book (no sharing) and you cannot blog about how the technique is done. If you want to know more or take part yourself here is the link to Linda Ledbetters blog where you will find all the rules and information including details of some great prizes up for grabs from Tim & Mario and from challenge sponsors Inspiration Emporium and The Funkie Junkie Boutique.
Painting techniques in general are something I have not really tried properly yet, especially watercoloring. But it is a challenge so I have given it a go. My main problem at the moment is that although I have a few bits of a lot of Tim Holtz products, the only stamps I have are Christmas ones and I am not ready for that yet so the stamp I chose to use is one from Indigoblu that I haven’t had chance to play with yet and I thought it would be ideal for this technique.
I stamped the image and coloured it in as per the instructions as per page 39. I think I have got the gist of it but will need to practice a bit more I think. The problem then was what to do with the image I have coloured in.
I had recently been to the Stamp Magic Fair at Doncaster and had a few new purchases to try out including PaperArtsy Grey board and Treasure gold Green Amber. I had also recently bought my first PaperArtsy Fresco chalk paints which I have been itching to try so here came “play” time. and I think I pretty much managed to use everything.
I finally allowed myself to use one of the sheets from a Tim Holtz paper pad I had in my stash as the base which I stuck down onto a piece of the grey board. Then it was grunge paste, fresco chalk paints, stamping and then some watered down Luminarte silk paint (these are gorgeous) .
I used some alcohol inks on gold card to dull it down and cut out a corner and punched some fake brads from the waste too.
The flower was made with watercolour card and ripe persimmon DI using a Tonic petal die and the “Bloom Impressions” tool by Marian Smith. After I had made it up i gave it a coat of watered down silk paint, which I had hoped would tone it down a bit, but did give it a lovely sheen and I have managed to match it the stamped image quite well apart from being a bit bright. love it though.
This challenge has, for me, gone from a watercolour image to my first real mixed media piece and have thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon of play. I love how things just seem to evolve as you play.